When eyes become inflamed and irritated, the eyelids can become crusty, swollen, and sticky. This common eye disorder is called “Blepharitis”. There are several remedies that don’t involve drugs or strong solutions that will soothe the symptoms and address the root of the problem. If not treated properly, Blepharitis can lead to blurred vision and inflamed eye tissue. Below, we will discuss 7 natural cures for blepharitis and related symptoms.
Common Symptoms of Blepharitis
Some common symptoms of blepharitis include:
- Red eyes
- Blurred vision
- Sticking or missing eyelashes
- Scales, flakes, or hard crusts around the base of the eyelashes
- Inflammation of the cornea
Many conventional treatments contain artificial solutions or are prescribed by a doctor. However, there are several natural remedies that can ease the symptoms and help to rid the body of blepharitis.
- Warm Compress – A warm compress, such as the one included in the starter kit from TheraLife, soothe inflamed eyelids and remove the build-up of crust on the eyelid and eyelashes. A warm compress can loosen the sticky crust and bring needed blood flow to the eyelids, which will speed the healing process.
- Black Tea – Enjoy a soothing cup of black tea, then use the warm black teabag on the infected eye. Black tea contains anti-inflammatory and antibacterial compounds and tannins that will inhibit the growth of bacteria. After squeezing the excess water, place the warm teabag on the eyelid for 10 minutes, then discard.
- Tea Tree Oil – Another natural product that contains anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties is tea tree oil. If demodex mites are causing blepharitis, tea tree oil can kill them. It can also soothe dry, flaking skin, and remove dandruff. Applied directly to the skin, tea tree oil can cause irritation in some people. Therefore, dilute the oil with coconut oil and apply with a clean cotton pad.
- Avoid Makeup and Contact Lenses – While ridding the eyelashes from blepharitis, try to refrain from wearing eye makeup or contact lenses. These items make proper eyelid hygiene difficult. After the blepharitis is gone, discard the old contacts and use a new pair. The old ones may still carry bacteria.
- Dandruff Treatments – The redness and flaking on the scalp from dandruff can cause greasy scaling on the eyebrows, face, and side of the nose. This can lead to blepharitis. Coconut oil, essential oils, probiotics, and omega-3 fatty acids can get rid of dandruff. A homemade itchy scalp shampoo can kill bacteria, reduce inflammation, and moisturize the scalp. Simply mix raw honey, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, tea tree oil, and rosemary oil together to create a natural, toxin-free shampoo that can remove dandruff.
- Anti-Inflammatory Foods – Eating a diet rich in anti-inflammatory foods helps improve blepharitis symptoms. Foods rich in Omega-3s, such as wild salmon, chia seeds, flaxseeds, and walnuts, can reduce the inflammation on the eyelids and boost the immune system to fight bacteria and mites. Foods such as avocado, nuts, coconut oil, and olive oil reduce inflammation and promote healing.
- Keep Blinking – When engaging in near-vision tasks, such as computer work, blinking is especially important to keep the eyes moist. Blinking allows the meibomian glands in the eyes to secrete oil that protect the eye surface.
The TheraLife Solution
In addition to the 7 natural remedies listed, TheraLife also has a complete line of all-natural products intended to help the body heal itself. The TheraLife All-In-One Dry Eye Starter Kit contains:
- 4 bottles of TheraLife Eye
- 1 bottle of purified Fish Oil
- 1 bottle of all natural eye lid cleanser
- 1 Elastogel warm compress
Clinically proven to work for 80% of first-time users, TheraLife works for chronic dry eyes, blepharitis/meibomian gland dysfunction, watery dry eyes, and chalazion/styes. The leader in chronic dry eye relief, TheraLife goes directly to the source of the problem and targets dry eyes from the inside out naturally. Restore comfortable vision with the entire line of TheraLife products.
Don’t waste time on prescriptions that can lead to a worsening condition or creams and gels that contain harsh chemicals. Try TheraLife today for a natural solution to your dry, red, and crusty eyes.