Dry Eyes and Aging
Dry eyes are one of the most common problems for seniors as they age. With age, our eyes and bodies undergo a variety of changes. One change is decreased heart function. Weakened heart function results in decreased micro-circulation to the body’s smallest blood vessels. This means a more limited supply of blood and nutrients reaches the eye. Another change that happens with aging is that our eyes naturally slow down the tear production process. Tears are a major protective agent for the eyes. They are important because they not only wash dust away from our eyes but also soothe the eyes, provide oxygen and nutrients to the cornea, and help defend against eye infections (by removing microorganisms that can form communities in our eyes). Both the changes in the circulatory system and in the body’s tear production can affect eye health as we age. Here are a few other factors that can influence dry eyes in middle and later adulthood:
- Menopause – Hot flashes, insomnia, vaginal dryness, mood swings, fatigue, headaches are all associated with menopause. More than 60% of women experiencing these symptoms also experience dry eyes. Women at this stage are also vulnerable to developing autoimmune diseases like Sjogren’s Syndrome and Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Medications – Some medications can cause dry eye. This includes medications such as some: antidepressants, antihistamines, muscle relaxants, sleeping pills, and pain relievers. Natural therapy sometimes tends to be a more balanced approach to the health challenges and diseases that come with age.
- Caffeine in Foods – Coffee, tea, sodas, and chocolates are some of our everyday indulgences that contain caffeine. Caffeine causes blood vessels to constrict (get narrower), which results in decreased circulation, and caffeine can causes insomnia and a variety of other health problems. Try avoiding caffeine-rish foods and drinks if possible, as caffeine is known to dehydrate the body.
- Computer Use – The internet allows us to connect with the outside world in important ways. However, sitting in front of the computer for extended periods of time can significantly dry your eyes. Remember to blink more often and take frequent breaks to reduce eye strain.
Why TheraLife® Eye Enhanced for Aging Dry Eyes?
TheraLife® Eye Enhanced contains a blend of herbal extracts, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that help increase micro-circulation to ocular tissue, improve tear quality, and maintain healthy function of the lens and retina of the eye. This formula is optimized to bring accelerated relief for dry eye discomfort.
TheraLife® Eye Enhanced has been clinically shown to stimulate tear secretion glands intracellularly (from within their cells) to allow you to produce balanced, natural tears from your own eyes.
TheraLife® Eye Enhanced works from the inside out so that the tear secretion is sustainable throughout the day.
TheraLife® Eye Enhanced works without washing away the valuable mucin, lipids, and protein components that lubricate the eye – unlike eye drops applied to the eye’s surface, which can actually strip the eyes of its healthy, natural substances.
Prevention for Aging Dry Eyes
We strongly recommend the following steps to help prevent and relieve the severe symptoms of dry eye, regardless of your age. These include:
- Drink Plenty of Water – at least 8 glasses a day. Water keeps your body hydrated, especially if you live in dry, hot or cold climates.
- Exercise – Regular exercise improves circulation, lowers blood pressure, and helps you sleep better.
- Humidifiers – Humidifiers, either in your central heating system or in individual rooms inside your home, can bring moisture into the air – especially during the winter season when there is less moisture in the air and in dry locations.
- Natural Supplements – Taking Omega-3’s (especially fish oil) and Omega 6’s is a great way to help thicken your tears and decrease your dry eye symptoms. For women, adding Primrose Oil can also help with hormone balance (but, as always, you should consult a doctor before taking any supplements if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or plan on becoming pregnant).
The TheraLife® Eye Difference
- All-natural products without the side effects of drugs
- 100% safe and pure ingredients, FDA approved
- Provides lasting relief for chronic dry eye discomfort
- Helps reduce irritation and inflammation of the tear glands, eye surfaces, and eyelids
- Helps restore your eyes’ ability to produce their own natural tears
- Clinically proven – 86% of patients in a clinical study showed increased tear production
- Helps more than fish oils or flax seed oils alone because of its unique, patented formulation of nutrients, phytochemicals, and proprietary herbal extracts that
- Improves ocular micro-circulation – to deliver more nutrients and oxygen to the eye, while carrying out more harmful waste products
- Stimulates Mito-Activation – to boost intracellular metabolism and restore normal cell function
- Keeps your eyes healthier and stronger
- 90-day money back guarantee
What You Need to Know
- Dry Eye Symptoms
- What Causes Dry Eyes?
- Who’s At Risk for Dry Eye Syndrome?
- Dry Eye Treatment
- Home Remedies for Dry Eyes
- Dry Eye Prognosis and Complications
- Dry Eye Diagnosis – Send Us Your Results
- How Common is Dry Eye Syndrome?